With the research hackathon, your journey into the world of AI safety is definitely not over! Besides the chance to join the Apart Lab Fellowship, we have collected a bunch of resources here for you to dive even deeper into the field!
- Arkose has collected a list of career opportunities, good papers, and academic workshops you can join (link).
- The AI Safety Fundamentals course is designed to give you a curriculum to dive into the theories behind AI risk and risk mitigation research! Check out their AI safety course (link).
- Publish your research project as a Forum post on the AlignmentForum (link) to get feedback and share your ideas.
- If you are in need of more ideas, go to AI Safety Ideas (link) to find others who are seeking projects.
Becoming an AI safety researcher
Additionally, we have a short guide written by a previous fellow of the Apart Lab in 2023!
Getting started in technical alignment research may require some time, ranging from 6 to 24 months, depending on your background and level of commitment. Here are some examples of activities you could focus on:
- Utilize AI Safety Training to stay informed about opportunities. Apply actively, but manage your expectations regarding acceptance rates.
- Explore the resources provided by AI safety support, including a curated list of resources and a dedicated Slack channel.
- Refer to the Map of AI Existential Safety for valuable insights.
- Consider enrolling in a practical ML course like this one, assuming a basic understanding of Python programming, linear algebra, and calculus.
- Explore the educational opportunities offered by Minitorch for hands-on experience in DL/ML engineering.
Additional recommended posts and resources include:
Guidelines for advancing your personal career in alignment research:
- Allocate a portion of your time to reading AlignmentForum / LessWrong content that interests you while focusing primarily on direct workrather than excessive reading.
- Participate in monthly Apart Research hackathons if you possess basic ML skills to engage in hands-on projects.
- Engage in skill-building activities that interest you, including supervised research or internships, even if they are not directly related to alignment research.
- Prioritize self-care and allocate time to activities that bring enjoyment and meaning into your life without overextending yourself.
Please send any feedback and suggestions for this page to email@example.com.